Founding Chairman of the Board of SBMT and Brain Mapping Foundation, Scientific Director of SBMT and Brain Mapping Foundation,
Director of National Center for Nano-Bio-Electronics, Senior Editor of SBMT-NeuroMapping & Therapeutics, Research Scientist,
Department of Neurosurgery, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center.
Babak Kateb is a neuroscientist with more than 15 years of research experience. His research has been focused on peripheral neuropathy, stroke, epilepsy, fetal cell transplant into the brain, pancreatic islet xenotrasplantation, human brain computer interface and brain implants, effect of hypothermia in traumatic brain injury patients with low Glasgow Coma Score, image guided surgery using NASA's thermal and UV imaging technology, optical imaging and laser spectroscopy, microwave ablation, stem cell research, nanoneurosurgery and virtual reality neurosurgical simulation.
Babak's pioneering work on "Internalization of NASA's Multi-Wall Carbon Nanotubes by Microglia: Possible Application in Immunotherapy of Brain Tumors (in vivo and In Vitro)" is published in NeuroImage and Journal of NeuroImmunology. He also discovered that brain cancers smell differently by using NASA's electronic nose. He was awarded NASA's Tech Brief award in 2008 for his discovery. The result of this Pilot study is published in the 2009 IBMISPS-NeuroImage issue.
Babak has been serving as the founding chairman of the board of directors for SBMT and the Brain Mapping Foundation, as well as Chief Executive Officer and Scientific Director of SBMT and the Brain Mapping Foundation since 2004 as well as Director of National Center for Nano-Bio-Electronics. He chairs the publication committee of SBMT, as editor in chief. He has established a new publication with PLoSOne called: NeuroMapping & Therapeutics collections and was the force behind 3 successful IBMISPS-NeuroImage special issues with high impact factors. He is editor of "Nanoneurosurgery" Text book, which is scheduled for release by Taylor & Francis Publisher by 2012.
Babak has been trained and employed at the Department of Neurology at the West Los Angeles VA Medical Center, UCLA Department of Neurosurgery, the Dumont-UCLA Transplant center, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center transplant Center, Maxine Dunitz Neurosurgical Institute at Cedars Sinai Medical Center, USC-Keck school of Medicine and California Institute of Technology and City of Hope National Cancer Center.
Babak's research on the use of thermal imaging for brain tumor detection, nano-neurosurgery and use of NASA's E-nose to sniff brain cancers has been reported by the Associated Press, NewScientist, and NASA. He holds many patents in the field of neuroscience/neuroengineering and is P.I./Co-P.I. on many scientific grants. He is also Director of National Center for Nano-Bio-Electronics, which is focused on integrating nanotechnology, Stem cell/cellular therapy with medical imaging and devices. He is senior editor of PLoSOne-NeuroMapping & Therapeutics.
Babak is also active in introducing healthcare policies and initiatives to the US Congress and the House of Representatives. In September 2008, he presented IBMISPS and its mission at the floor of the California Congress. He has received many commendations and awards for his contributions to the wounded warrior care, including a letter of appreciation from the honorable Vice President Biden, former Governor of California Arnold Schwarzenegger and the Chairman of the Joint Chief Admiral Michael Mullen.
Babak is 9 times Marathon runner, a former member of USC-track and field team, an established artist and medical illustrator. He is a graduate of University of Southern California and did his research fellowship at USC-Keck School of Medicine was focused on interdisciplinary neuroengineering. Currently he is a research scientist at Cedars Sinai Medical Center, Department of Neurosurgery.
JOURNAL COVER and MOST DOWNLOADED PAPER:
Babak Kateb, Katherine Chiu, Keith L Black , Vicky Yamamoto, Bhavraj Khalsa, Julia Y Ljubimova, Hui Ding, Rameshwar Patil, Jose Antonio Portilla-Arias, Mike Modo, David Moore, Keyvan Farahani, Michael S. Okun, Neal Prakash, Josh Neman, Daniel Ahdoot, Warren Grundfest, Shouleh Nikzad, John Heiss: Nanoplatforms for constructing new approaches to Cancer Treatment, Imaging, and Drug Delivery: What should be the Policy?, NeuroImage 54 (2011) S106-124
- Babak Kateb and Jennifer Neale, Editorial on Brain Tumor Patients, Their Health Insurance and Personal Bankruptcy; NeuroImage 54 (2011) S103-105
- Babak Kateb, Katherine Chiu, Keith L Black , Vicky Yamamoto, Bhavraj Khalsa, Julia Y Ljubimova, Hui Ding, Rameshwar Patil, Jose Antonio Portilla-Arias, Mike Modo, David Moore, Keyvan Farahani, Michael S. Okun, Neal Prakash, Josh Neman, Daniel Ahdoot, Warren Grundfest, Shouleh Nikzad, John Heiss: Nanoplatforms for constructing new approaches to Cancer Treatment, Imaging, and Drug Delivery: What should be the Policy?, NeuroImage 54 (2011) S106-124
- Babak Kateb, Vicky Yamamoto, Cheng Yu, Warren Grundfest and John Peter Gruen, Infrared Thermal Imaging: A Review of the Literature and Case Report; NeuroImage 47(2009), T154-162
- Babak Kateb, M. A. Ryan, M. L. Homer, L. M. Lara, Yufang Yin, Kerin Higa, Mike Y.Chen; Sniffing Out Cancer Using the JPL Electronic Nose: A Novel Approach to Detection and Differentiation of Brain Cancer, NeuroImage 47(2009), T5-9
- Michelle VanHandel, Darya Alizadeh, Leying Zhang, Babak Kateb, Michael Bronikowski, Harish Manohara, Behnam Badie; Selective Uptake of Multi-Walled Carbon nanotubes by Tumor Macrophages in a Murine Glioma Model, Journal of NeuroImmunology, 208 (2009) 3–9
- Babak Kateb, Michelle Van Handel, Leying Zhang, Michael J. Bronikowski, Harish Monahara, Behnam Badie, Internalization of MWCNTs by Microglia:Possible Application in Immunotherapy of Brain Tumors, NeuroImage, Volume 37, Supplement 1 Page 9-17-2007
- David Lin, Joseph Najbauer, Paul M. Salvaterra, Adam N. Mamelak, Michael E. Barish, Elizabeth Garcia, Marianne Z. Metz, Stephen E. Kendall, Marisa Bowers, Babak Kateb, Seung U. Kim, Margaret Johnson, and Karen S. Aboody, Novel method for visualizing and modeling the spatial distribution of neural stem/progenitor cells within intracranial glioma, NeuroImage, Volume 37, supplement 1, Page 18-26-2007
- Babak Kateb*, Bradley Greger*, Peter Gruen, Paul H. Patterson, A chronically implantable, hybrid cannula-electrode device for assessing the effects of molecules on electrophysiological signals in freely behaving animals, Journal of Neuroscience Method, 163 (2007) 321–325 * co-first author Patent/Technical paper
BOOK REVIEWS, CHAPTERS, and MEDICAL ILLUSTRATIONS:
- Babak Kateb and John Heiss, Text Book of Nanoneurosurgery; Publisher (Taylor & Francis Publisher). ISBN: 9781439849415, Text Book
- Babak Kateb, Vicky Yamamoto, Darya Alizadeh, Larry Zhang, Harish M. Manohara, Michael J. Bronikowski, Behnam Badie, Multi-Wall Carbon Nanotube (MWCNT) Synthesis, Preparation, Labeling, and Functionalization, Humana Press Inc (Editor: Patricia Yotnda) ISBN, 9781607617853), 2009, Book Chapter
- Babak Kateb, Behnam Badie, The Essentials of Neuro-oncology; edited by Mark Bernstien and Mitchell S. Berger, Second Edition, 2008, Thieme publication company, ISBN: 978-3-13-116332-5, Book Report
- Babak Kateb and Behnam Badie, Handbook of Brain Tumor Chemotherapy; Edited by Herbert B. Newton. New York: Elsevier, 2006, 510 pp, Illus. ISBN: 0-12-088410-0/978-0-12-088410-0, Journal of Neurosurgery, Book Report
- Anthony Kim, Babak Kateb, Srinath Samudrala, The Lumbar Spine: The posterior approach, Third edition, Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins, 2004 ISBN: 0781742978, Book Chapter & Medical Illustrations
- A. Kayheni Ph.D., S.H. Faghihi D.D.S., N. Rhashidian D.D.S., M. Rezai D.D.S., Babak Kateb MD, R. Esfandiary M.D.: Immunology of Oral Disease by Tomas Lehnner 1990, Techehr, Tehran, Iran 1993, Book Chapter