The Society for Brain Mapping and Therapeutics (SBMT) is a non-profit biomedical association (501c6) principally concerned with Brain Mapping and Intra-operative Surgical planning. The Brain Mapping Foundation provides funding to members of the society.
The organization started by, Babak Kateb, out of the collaboration between NASA/JPL-USC-Keck School of Medicine and Caltech through an initial summit at NASA/JPL attended by nearly by 15 scientists from those institutions back in 2003. The summit was co-organized by Wolfgang Fink (NASA/JPL), John George (NASA/JPL) and Babak Kateb (USC-Keck School). Thus, the official color of the organization is Maroon and Gold. This initial think-tanks summit gradually grew overtime to a larger think-tank international convention. in 2004, Babak Kateb (the founder), Farzad Massoudi and Warren Grundfest filled the necessary legal and tax paperwork with the US IRS and obtained approval from IRS for a 501c6 Non-Profit multidisciplinary and multi-specialty (engineers, scientists, physicians, surgeons and policymakers as well as healthcare executives) biomedical association.
The initial name of the organization was: International Brain Mapping & Intra-operative Surgical Planning Society (IBMISPS). The name was aimed at the international nature of the organization, its clinical and basic science approach toward brain mapping and image guided surgery/therapeutics. In 2011 the 9th president (at the time President elect) of then IBMISPS (Mike Chen) proposed a name change for the organization in order to better capture its mission and impact. Many names were proposed including: International Society for Brain Mapping and Therapeutics (ISBMT) and Society for Brain Mapping and Therapeutics (SBMT). The members of IBMISPS (Now SBMT) voted to choose Society for Brain Mapping and Therapeutics (SBMT) as the new name for the organization in its 8th (2011) Annual World Brain Mapping meeting at UCSF.
The Society for Brain Mapping and Therapeutics (SBMT) was founded in 2004 to break boundaries in healthcare. The society promotes policies that support rapid, safe, and cost-effective translation of new technology into medicine. SBMT played a significant role in the formulation, planning and execution of Obama's BRAIN Initiative and in 2013 pioneered the G20+ World Brain Mapping & Therapeutic Initiative, which is aimed at creating a global consortium focusing on integration of nanotechnology, imaging, cellular/stem cell therapeutics, Information Technology (IT) and devices (this approach called NanoBioElectronics) in Brain Mapping.
The Society appoints a new president every year. The past 13 Presidents of SBMT are:
- 2004 November (1) USC-Keck School Los Angeles, CA ------ Dr. Babak Kateb (Founder/Founding President/Electrical Engineer and Neuroscientist)
- 2005 November (2) The Westin Hotel, Pasadena, CA ------- Dr. Ferenc A Jolesz, First elected president (Radiologist and Neurosurgeon)
- 2006 September (3) Clermont-Ferrand, France ------------- Dr. Warren Grundfest (BioMedical Engineer & General Surgeon)
- 2007 September (4) Washington Hotel, Washington, DC ----- Dr. Farzad Massoudi (Neurosurgeon)
- 2008 August (5) UCLA-CNSI Los Angeles, CA ------------ Dr. Jean-Jacques Lemaire (Neurosurgeon)
- 2009 August (6) Joseph Martin Conference center/Harvard Medical School Boston, MA ------ Dr. Neal Prakash (Neurologist)
- 2010 May (7) USUHS/University, Bethesda, MD ------ Drs. Neal Parkash/Mike Roy (USUHS Local Chairman and organizer-Internist)
- 2011 June (8) UCSF/Mission Bay Conf. Ctr, San Francisco, CA ---- Drs. Michael Okun (Neurologist)/Chis Bankiewics (UCSF Local Chairman of Organizer/Neuroscientist)
- 2012 June (9) Toronto, Ontario, Canada -------- Dr. Mike Chen (Neurosurgeon)
- 2013 May (10) Baltimore Convention Ctr, Baltimor, MD ---- Dr. Michael Roy (Internist)
- 2014 March (11) Four Seasons Hotel, Sydney, Australia ---- Dr. Kuldip Sidhu (Stem Cell Scientist)
- 2015 March (12) LA Convention Center Los Angeles, CA ------ Dr. Shouleh Nikzad (Physicist)/Dr. Babak Kateb (Local Chairman and organizer)
- 2016 April (13) Miami Convention Center, Miami, FL ------ Drs. Aaron Filler (Neurosurgeon, Neuroscientist and Attorney) /Ranu Jung (FIU Local Chairman and organizer and BioMedical Engineer)
- 2017 April (14) Los Angeles, CA ------ Dr. Wes Ashford (Director of the WRIISC, VA Palo Alto Health Care System)
The Society has Following Programs and Initiatives:
Awards, Visiting Scholars, Fellowship, annual Conventions, symposia and Meetings, Brain Policy, Health & Fitness, Publications, Student Chapters, K12 neuroscience, commercialization, BRAIN Initiative, G20+ World Brain Mapping and Therapeutics Initiative (G20+ WBMTI) and Brain Mapping.TV.