A prolific researcher, talented physician and board-certified neurosurgeon, Mike Y. Chen, M.D., Ph.D., has been on the City of Hope team since 2007. Dr. Chen specializes in complex operations for the removal of brain and spine tumors. He also frequently treats benign and degenerative conditions of the spine for City of Hope patients.
As a contributor to the advancement of neurosurgery, Dr. Chen devises new surgical techniques, works with medical device companies to design new tools and teaches procedures to other surgeons.
Dr. Chen received his medical doctorate from Thomas Jefferson University. He furthered his training with an internship at Johns Hopkins University and a residency at the Medical College of Virginia in Richmond. Dr. Chen also completed a research fellowship in surgical neurology at the National Institutes of Health.
- 2015 - present, Associate Professor, Department of Surgery, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2012 - present, Director of the Neurosurgical Oncology Fellowship Program, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2011 - 2012, President of the Society for Brain Mapping and Therapeutics
- 2007 - 2015, Assistant Professor and Section Head of Malignant Brain Tumor Program, Division of Neurosurgery, Department of Surgery, City of Hope, Duarte, CA
- 2006, Assistant Professor, Department of Neurosurgery, Virginia Commonwealth University/Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, VA